Monday, July 6, 2009

The week after...

Well it is the Monday following our return to the states last Thursday, and strangely enough, I have to admit I miss Canada. The environment up there was great and even despite the massive amounts of mosquitoes I would consider this trip a huge success. We not only got ate alive by the swarms, but we also got a good crash course on Geology. Through grade school I never really took a Geology class so I had no idea what Breccia was or anything. In three short days, Dr. Lowman had given us a great crash course on Geology and I know for a fact, that I will never look at rocks the same again. I never really gave the rocks along the side of the road in West Virginia much thought as I drove by them daily, but now I'm going to be wondering just what all was involved with forming the mountains that I drive through daily as they have been blasted and cut through to make the roads more manageable to traverse. Along with all the breccia, basaltic dykes, geiger readings, and magnetic susceptibility readings, I also had a few chances to go off the path with fellow interns and enjoy what was going on back in the forests a bit in Canada.
It truly was beautiful in Sudbury! I don't know of about everyone else, but whenever I tend to think of Canada, I think of the wilderness and evergreens as far as the eyes can see, and THAT is exactly where we were and what we all got to see. It was quite the thrill though to have to hug up against the rocks and guardrails to avoid the traffic at times.

Overall, looking back on this trip, I am very glad that we did what we did. I will admit I was a little skeptic at first but that was changed after the first few hours out on site learning the ropes of what we would be doing for the next three days. I can't wait to go back to Canada.

CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment