Thursday, July 2, 2009

Great Success!

It's the end of a busy expedition, and I'd like to reflect on what we've all experienced. One of my goals is too know a little bit about every branch of science, and now I can add geology to that list of scientific fields that I've been exposed to. Our exploration of the Sudbury Basin and its various features has been a whole new experience. Finding examples of breccia, basaltic dikes, and shatter cones, as well as understanding to some degree why they are significant has been very satisfying. There are alot of fun aspects to field geology that really added to this trip. Climbing the outcrops and boulders keeps the process interesting. We didn't just record scientific data, we really had to work for it by physically going to each site and getting the instruments in to position at each notable feature. Although I don't have the expertise to formulate or pass judgment on geological theories based on our observations, it's cool to know that we are participating in an ongoing scientific process of determining the true nature and extent of the impact crater. Dr. Lowman has been very impressive, with his absolute familiarity with the both the area and the rocks and minerals that we encounter. His ongoing vigor and enthusiasm really helps to motivate us all. Our excursion is done for this summer, but I know that this won't be the last time I scan an outcrop in search of breccia, or curse the bugs and the rain that are getting in the way as I hammer away at seemingly industructible granite.

No comments:

Post a Comment