Monday, July 6, 2009

Back to work

Hello again everyone,

Our trip is over and we all returned to work at Goddard. It felt strange to be back in the office after spending last week doing field work in Canada. I must say that I do miss it. I feel that it was a great bonding bonding experience for our group since it was nice to have the opportunity to work with different people. During our regular work day at Goddard we spend too much time with our respective teams working on our individualized projects and do not get to spend much time with everyone else. In addition to bonding I feel that we also gained lots of knowledge from it. Dr. Lowman was an excellent guide. Here I've included some pictures and a brief summary of some of the things we did during the last days of our expedition.
In one of my previous posts I mentioned that during the first day of our Sudbury expedition my team and I did radiometry. During the second day our teams switched tasks and we had the opportunity to do some geology. Our job was to collect samples, make observations and take measurements with the use of a Brunton compass. On the left you can see a picture of me and my team making observations of the rocks. Trying to come up with a good description turned out to be pretty hard sometimes. You have to pay very close attention to details.
The third day of our expedition was probably the best since it was also Canada Day! During most of the day we worked in the field as usual. I got a little tired of being the designated note taking person so I finally had the opportunity to have a little fun with instrumentation and do magnetics. People often assume that a mathematicians favorite instrument is a pencil and paper, but that's not true at all. As a mathematician myself I can say that I had a blast doing magnetics. Here's a picture of me using a magnetic susceptibility meter. It was fun!

After our final day of field work was over we went out for a nice dinner and then went out to celebrate Canada Day with some fireworks. As we were passing by the crowd of Canadian people, they told us that we were from America. We stared at each other for a bit wondering: "how they could possibly know we're from America?". We then noticed that most of us were wearing shirts with the names of our respective universities....we were so obvious! It didn't take a genius to figure out that we were from the US. After that we all got to sit down and relax while watching fireworks. Here you can see a picture of us waiting for the fireworks. (and take a look at our college shirts too :))
The next morning it was time to head back home to Maryland. It was a great adventure and learning experience that I will never forget. I would like to thank everyone that made this trip possible, especially our program manager, Cynthia Cheung. I'm sure that it's an experience that we will all cherish forever. Not everyone gets to say that they went to Canada to do field geology with the respected Dr. Lowman as well as work with a bunch of amazing interns from all over the US that have a passion for space. Even though I have been through quite a few NASA internship programs (including NASA Academy), I feel that I will never forget the LPS Academy group. I feel that the NASA Lunar and Planetary Sciences Academy is an extraordinary program that has the potential to become one of the best NASA internship programs. I appreciate the efforts of everyone that made this program possible and hope that others have the opportunity to be part of this amazing journey during the years to come.

Sincerely,

-Lisha

No comments:

Post a Comment