Friday, June 19, 2009

Sudbury, LRO, and Hubble

Hey everyone! My name is Misha currently I am pursuing the B.S. degree in mechanical engineering at the University of Maryland College Park, I enjoy learning about different machines especially their design and operation.
I am thrilled about our trip to Canada. This trip will broaden my knowledge on geology, comets, and space. Not only will I touch a real crater on earth for the first time in my life but I will experience the feel for how big the impact was, what potential damages it made to the surrounding area, and what changes it brought with it. Alongside my exiting experience, I will conduct studies of the crater with my team, which will have serious relation to the project we are working on “Detection of water ice and Helium-3 in the craters of the moon”.
Recently launched Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter will provide us with the most up to date information and discoveries on the moon. Besides, high resolution imagery from LRO's camera will help identify landing sites for future explorers and characterize the moon's topography and composition. The hydrogen concentrations at the moon's poles will be mapped in detail, pinpointing the locations of possible water ice. A miniaturized radar system will image the poles and test communication capabilities.
If you missed the launch yesterday you can view it by following this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13OxQWUVM1g

Moreover, if you recall there was last Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission last month. It was very important to put new instruments and repair old ones. And you can find fascinating pictures of the shuttle launch, Hubble repair, and pictures of earth and different tools that were used to repair the Telescope.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/05/hubbles_final_servicing_missio.html

~Misha

No comments:

Post a Comment