Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hi From Canada - Maggie

Hi from Canada,

It is the end of our second day here in Canada. I’m really enjoying the beautiful country side and fulfilling a childhood dream of climbing all over road cuttings along the highway. It’s pretty marvelous. I feel like my knowledge of geology is increasing by the minute. Andrea and Dr. Lowman are indispensable resources who are forever patient with my many questions. I feel especially lucky that we have both of them on this trip.

The thing that has been most insightful for me about this trip thus far is figuring out exactly how Dr. Lowman’s hypothesis differs from the common one. He explained it as we were walking up the rim of the crater. I knew that impactors, regardless of shape, create circular craters. This is because, as Dr. Lowman explained, the impactor’s shock wave propagates circularly. So I asked if we see craters of different shapes. Here in lies the answer—Dr. Lowman explained to me that we see craters, on the moon for example, that leave elliptical craters because they come into the surface at very low angles. Dr. Lowman is of the opinion that this impactor has done just that—hit the earth at a low angle. I can see his point. If the north range of the crater has not been deformed like the southern part, then the original radius would have been huge. So perhaps the southern range has only been perturbed slightly. Looking at the maps of the area, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dr. Lowman is correct. Of course, I am no expert, but it is really fun to be out in the field with someone who really knows their stuff.

I’m enjoying every aspect of the trip so far. I love being outside. We get to have some fun as well as learning about science. Counting the bug bites back in the hotel isn’t so fun, but I suppose we’re getting the real, unapologetic version of field geology. Cynthia has also been really awesome. She keeps us well stocked with food, water and most importantly bug spray. Yesterday we were standing on a ledge and I felt something being squirted on the back on my hood; I turned around and it was Cynthia spraying four mosquitoes that had landed on my head. She said, “I was just trying to get them for you.” It made me laugh.

All in all, I’m really enjoying this trip. It has been effective scientifically and fun socially. I feel really lucky that I’ve been able to be apart of this.

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment